EndeavourOS is a popular Arch-based Linux distribution that aims to make the Arch experience easy.
Code-named 'Cassini', it signifies a new phase in EndeavourOS's development that aims to make the OS better than its previous iterations.
Let's see what makes this release so unique.
🆕 EndeavourOS 'Cassini': What's New?
The 'Cassini' release packs plenty of improvements, some of the noteworthy highlights include:
- Improved ARM Support
- Linux Kernel 6.0
- Various User Interface Updates
- Updated Software Packages
Improved ARM Support
EndeavourOS now features support for the Pinebook Pro.
This was made possible by including the new 'linux-eos-arm' kernel that comes with the 'amdgpu' driver for supporting generic ARM devices.
The developers also added that:
We’ve leveraged existing work and PKGBUIDs of both Manjaro ARM and archlinuxarm-pbp projects to create our Pinebook Pro images and would like to thank them for their continuing work in supporting PineBook Pro for Arch Linux ARM platform.
🎨 Various User Interface Updates
With this release, EndeavourOS has received quite a few user interface tweaks; some of the highlights include:
- The 'Discover' icon was replaced with a 'Konsole' icon on KDE Plasma.
- Qogir theme is being used for icons in Cinnamon and Budgie.
- In the case of GNOME, the wallpaper follows night and day theme like the Console.
- The default wallpaper is now set by the 'settings' package instead of 'welcome'.
- A load of cleanup work for Calamares.
Linux Kernel 6.0
Alongside that, there is a noticeable uplift in performance for AMD EPYC, Ryzen Threadripper, and Intel Xeon Ice Lake chips.
You can go through our coverage for more details:
Updated Software Packages
This release also features a lot of updated software, including:
- Calamares 3.3.0-alpha3
- Firefox 108.0.1-1
- Mesa 22.3.1-1
- Xorg-Server 21.1.5-1
- nvidia-dkms 525.60.11-1
- Grub 2:2.06.r403.g7259d55ff-1
🛠️ Other Changes
There were also a few other changes that I want to mention, such as:
- dracut has replaced mkinitcpio to handle the installation process.
- You can now choose not to install a bootloader.
- You have two bootloader options to pick from, systemd-boot and Grub.
- The Grub submenu is now enabled by default.
- gedit and GNOME terminal have been replaced by gnome-text-editor and GNOME Console.
📥 Download EndeavourOS Cassini
You can find the latest release on the official website from one of the available mirrors.
💬 What do you think of this release? Was it worth the wait?