Outreachy is one of the most popular open source internships. Its goal is to increase diversity in open source and hence they focus on women (both cis and trans), trans men, and genderqueer people. Residents and nationals of the United States of any gender who are Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, Native American/American Indian are also encouraged to apply.
The internship is not exclusive to US residents. It is remote and people from all over the world can apply for it. Though it mostly focused on students, non-students can also send applications.
As an intern, you work with experienced mentors from open source communities. The internship projects may include programming, user experience, documentation, graphical design, data science, marketing, user advocacy, or community event planning.
The internship period is for three months and you have to work 40 hours a week. You get paid a stipend of $6,000 for the entire internship duration.
- You are or will be 18 years of age or older by Dec. 6, 2021
- You are available for a full-time, 40 hours a week internship from Dec. 6, 2021 to March 4, 2022.
- You were not an intern with Outreachy, the Outreach Program for Women, or Google Summer of Code.
- You must have 42 consecutive days free from school and exams during the internship period.
- This round of internship is for students from Southern Hemisphere. If your university is near the equator, you may apply to both rounds of the internship. Entire India is considered to be in Northern Hemisphere.
Read in detail about the eligibility criteria here.
How to apply?
Make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria. Then, you can choose -12 proposed projects of your liking. You have to make some small contribution to the project as part of your application procedure.
The initial application also includes 4 essay type questions to be answered in 200 words each.
The initial application system will open at Aug. 9, 2021 at 4pm UTC. Initial applications are due Sept. 3, 2021 at 4pm UTC.
You can find more details and application submission details on Outreachy website.