Kali Linux is back with exciting additions for its third upgrade in 2022.
As usual, you can expect new tools and refinements across the board. In addition, there are a few key highlights, including a new test lab environment and a VirtualBox image.
Here, let me give you more details on the release.
Kali Linux 2022.3: What’s New?
Kali Linux 2022.3 release marks the start of their new Discord server, allowing the community to get together and chat all about Kali Linux.
Along with the community getting a Discord server, things that should grab your attention for the upgrade include:
- A new test lab environment for easy testing.
- Opening kali-tools repository for community submissions.
- New releases in NetHunter store.
- A new VirtualBox image format.
- Bunch of new tools.
Test Lab Environment
Kali Linux is tailored for security researchers to test and learn. But, to enhance the experience and make it effortless for anyone to build a test lab, Kali Linux now adds easy-to-install packages like DVWA, and Juice Shop.
The developers also mention that there will be more packages available in the near future.
The new upgrade includes five interesting tools, they are:
- BruteShark (Network Analysis Tool)
- DefectDojo (Open-source application vulnerability)
- phpsploit (Stealth post-exploitation framework)
- shellfire (Exploiting command injection vulnerabilities)
- SprayingToolkit (Password attacks)
You can explore the tools to learn more about it.
Enhanced VirtualBox Support
While Kali Linux was already available for VMware and VirtualBox, we now have a new image format for VirtualBox users.
You can now download a VDI disk image and a .vbox metadata file for VirtualBox. It is the native format for VirtualBox images, and faster to download, considering a better compression ratio.
For users looking to be on the latest and greatest, Kali Linux has made weekly builds of VM images available, built from its rolling branch.
Additionally, if you need to build your custom VM images, Kali Linux has made some scripts available on GitLab.
Kali Linux 2022.3 adds several significant upgrades to the table. Some include:
- Linux Kernel 5.15 update for Raspberry Pi devices.
- Technical improvements for ARM devices.
- Documentation updates with new pages.
- Maintenance work for network repository.
- Numerous updates to the NetHunter store along with imminent Android 12 support.
Download Kali Linux 2022.3
You can find the latest Kali Linux 2022.3 ISO on its official download page, along with the new VirtualBox image file and weekly update packages.
More from It's FOSS...
- 📩 Stay updated with the latest on Linux and Open Source. Get our weekly Newsletter.
- Understand the difference between Snap and Flatpak.
- 🛍️ Linux books by Pakct in Humble Bundle offer.
- Join our community forum.