Lots of exciting stuff this week. You'll see all that in a moment.
Let me tell you about another interesting development first.
You probably have supported It's FOSS in the past with your donations. You can pledge your continuous support by opting for a premium membership of It's FOSS News website.
I don't plan to block content access for anyone. The Pro membership gives you an ad-free reading experience and your support helps the work me and my team does for It's FOSS. I have compiled a FAQ page to answer your questions but feel free to reply to this email for any membership-related queries.
Let's see what you've got this week.
💬 In this week's issue:
- Fresh at It's FOSS: Recently published or updated articles on It's FOSS
- News round-up: The highlights from the Linux world
- Terminal tips and tricks: A few things on using the terminal and customizing it
- Other newsletter elements like memes, deals, etc.
🗞 Linux News Round-up
Here are some of the highlights of this week
- The Chromium browser in Debian will have DuckDuckGo as the default search engine
- Debian is seriously considering the inclusion of non-free firmware with a general resolution
- Lutris 0.5.11 released with new Macintosh emulators and Amazon Games integration
- OBS Studio 28.0 gets a visual refresh and gears up for modern use-cases with new tech support
- Microsoft will no longer offer a Linux app for its communication tool Teams
- With version 1.8.4, fwupd starts allowing BIOS changes from Linux
- Nitrux Linux team released version 2.4.0 and Maui DE version 2.2.0
- Ubuntu Unity Remix gets the official flavor tag with the upcoming Ubuntu 22.10 release
🧠 What We’re Thinking About
Arm is suing Qualcomm over Nuvia IP misappropriation and trademark infringement. The basic claim is that Qualcomm does not have a license to develop Nuvia IP after Qualcomm purchased the company for $1.4B.
Any process that wants to bind to a port less than 1024 must have elevated privileges. These ports are known as “privileged ports.” While this was a security feature in the days of dumb terminals, it is a security vulnerability in the age of the World Wide Web.
🌱 Fresh on It's FOSS
Crystal Linux is an upcoming Arch-based distro focusing on making the setup easy while using the latest technologies. Sounds interesting?
GNOME 43 is around the corner. Here are the features that you should expect with the release.
And a few more articles:
- List of minimalist Linux distros with Openbox
- List of open source library management software
- Collection of basic yet essential Linux networking commands
- Making Ubuntu not go in suspend when the laptop lid is closed
- What you need to know about Linux Mint release cycle
🐧 Terminal tools and tips
You can also learn Linux commands with this book, available to download for free.
🛍️ Interesting Deals and Offers
📺 What We're Watching
Here's the official celebration video on completing 30 years.
🛠️ Application highlights
A terminal-based editor that allows you to use the 'universal' keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+S etc.
A Python script to convert any Arch Linux package (official/AUR) to an AppImage.
🤣 Linux Humor
❤ Enjoying this newsletter?
Forward to a friend and let them know where they can subscribe (hint: it's here).
Anything else? Hit reply to send us feedback or say hello.
Become a Pro member! This will support us to create more content like this :)