Google is tightening its noose around what emails it wants to show you instead of what you want to see.
Several readers notified me that FOSS Weekly emails are going to the spam directly and they have to retrieve the mail from spam manually.
If you are using Gmail, please add my email to your contacts list otherwise Google may start hiding it from your inbox. Don't fall prey to Google's tactics.
💬 In this week's issue:
- Different shells and terminals to explore
- Code editors, new and classics
- Interview with The Linux Cast host Matthew Weber
- And more Linux news, videos and memes
🗞 Linux News Round-up
Here is the selected news from the Linux world:
- Mastodon's growth continues with another big brand joining the platform.
- Kodi 20.0 'Nexus' was released with support for AV1 Video on Linux.
- A ChatGPT GNOME extension is in the works for Linux users.
- Restic, the cross-platform backup program, received a new release with many improvements.
- Bitwarden makes its first known acquisition.
- KDE Plasma 5.27 beta is looking good.
- GNOME's research tells us that Flatpak is quite popular.
🧠 What we’re thinking about
The FBI managed to trace a Tor user's real IP address, they wouldn't divulge how. We wonder how they were able to accomplish that.
🛒 Deal you should not miss
Whether you’re an engineer or an end user, you’ll get practical guides on topics including the Bash shell, cybersecurity operations, the power of UNIX, tools to improve your day-to-day programming, and much more. Plus, your purchase helps support Code for America!
✨Shells, Terminals and Prompts
If you think terminal, shell and prompt are the same things, you should get familiar with the essentials.
Bash is so popular that it has become synonymous with shell. However, it is not the only shell out there. Apart from other popular ones like ksh, csh, zsh, here are some lesser-known shells.
And why just stop at shells? There are plenty of terminals as well.
Shells and terminals are done. How about customizing the prompt?
🐧Linux learning resources
It is not easy to understand the cron job expression by heart. This little cheat sheet helps.
In fact, there is an excellent online portal to create and understand cron expressions.
📺 What we are watching
Even Linux creator Linus Torvalds thinks Debian is difficult to install. This is almost ten years old but it still makes me smile how he shares his struggle of maintaining multiple Linux machines in his family.
This is a promising new upcoming code editor.
🤣 Linux Humor
Linux users are Linux users even if they use it with WSL inside Windows, right?
❤️ Enjoying FOSS Weekly?
Forward it to Linux-using friends and encourage them to subscribe (hint: it's here).
Become a Pro member and show your support 🙏
Join the It's FOSS Community forum.
Something else? Share it with me by pressing the reply button.